Are you ready to take an ACTIVE role in your health?
We know that when problems occur in the airway due to structural or functional abnormalities, dental and overall health problems can develop. Airway issues can reveal themselves differently depending upon a patient’s age.
Signs of possible airway issues include:
- Crowded teeth
- Long face
- Gummy smile
- Thumb sucking or nail biting
- Mouth breathing
- Asthma or allergies
- Infants who cannot nurse
- Acid reflux
- Grinding teeth
- Sleep apnea
- Upper airway infections
- Forward head posture
- TMJ pain
- Chronic pain
- Puckering chin with swallow
- Open lip posture
- Enlarged tonsils and adenoids
- Chronic ear infection
Every patient is unique, and the most important parts of care are understanding the patient’s concerns, making a correct diagnosis and educating the patient.
Dr. Adams identifies and treats airway compromise in all ages and prides herself in recognizing the individuality of patients. It is important that our patients understand the “WHY” so all patients who are concerned about airway, orthodontics, myofunctional therapy, tongue ties, sleep apnea or snoring will have a consult with Dr. Adams before beginning any treatment.
What YOU can expect at your consult:
- 90 minutes with Dr. Adams and her team to review your case. For infants, 30 minute consult with Dr. Adams.
- Review of birth, childhood, orthodontic, dental, medical, sleep, feeding and speech histories.
- Review of records taken at another provider.
- An honest discussion about your airway health with review of possible interventions.
- If treatment is recommended, you will return for records to include 3D imaging, photographs, digital impressions and myofunctional evaluation. Once records are completed, Dr. Adams will provide a treatment plan detailing procedures, timing and fees. This is not provided at the consultation because it requires records first.
What WE expect of you:
- Understand our approach to care: Airway Articles, Frenectomy, Myofunctional Therapy, Myobrace, ALF Appliance and Buteyko Breathing
- All forms completed at least 2 days prior to appointment. This allows Dr. Adams time to be prepared for your appointment.
- Arrive on time for your appointment
- If this is a second opinion, please bring supporting documentation that will be helpful, ex: reports from sleep study, speech therapist, dentist or physician.
Dr. Adams is an expert in the fields of airway focused dentistry, facial growth guidance, myofunctional therapy, tongue and lip ties, and sleep apnea. She has completed a mini-residency in ALF appliance therapy and frequently lectures about ALF appliances and tongue ties. She recognizes that proper functioning of the mouth is critical to overall body function. The Integrative Dental Center at Adams Dental connects oral and systemic health to find solutions for patients’ chronic health issues.
It is important to recognize that our approach requires commitment from the patient (and parent). It is interactive and we find that we are most successful when we work with patients who understand the impact oral habits make on tooth position, facial growth, sleep and overall health, and are committed to taking an ACTIVE role to create positive change in their health and wellness.
IMPORTANT: A parent or guardian must accompany all patients under 18 at the consultation visit.